poemetry

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Blog re-ages math idiot!

I have discovered so far the best thing about creating this blog is that I am now a year younger than I was three days ago.

Many years ago (long ago and farfar away) I stopped keeping track of my age. Turning Thirty was the pits. I agonized. I quit smoking. I aged prematurely from worry. After the trauma of 30, I have not looked back.

I was vaguely aware when forty rolled around. The easy math made almost impossible not to notice. Then I was totally fine with being in my 'early 40's'. Piece of cake (no candles).

I knew that mid-forties was eventually going to attach itself to me like a tick. Making taking surveys something on my not-do-list. They alway ask your age range. Climbing those 'ranges' has put me into company I once thought quite olde. And it makes me stop and think at least temporarily exactly how old I really am. Next door neighbors can do this too.

Last summer while picking blueberries in my back yard with my neighbor, age came up. I stopped and realized I honestly did not know how old I was at that moment. I put my bucket down, shared my year of birth with my neighbor and asked for help or verification of my math. It was Devastating. I realized I was forty-five. The half-way point to fifty. It ruined a good afternoon picking berries. And then with much practiced willpower, I let it go and became forty-ish once again.

About a month ago, something came up with a cyber acquaintance and I felt it necessary to reveal my age. I told the person I was 47. It felt like a really big number, but after my blueberry trauma I must have become immune. Resigned to forty-seven, I even remembered that number as my age weeks later. Which brings me to this point in time.

This week on a whim i sought out 'blog' and turned in my resume. Here i am. But i am not 47!! The computer never lies. It is up there in bold print, i am ONLY 46. Blog gave me a year back I didn't realize i was missing. In November I will return to being forty-seven...I even already have some practice at it....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home