poemetry

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

So yesterday I go into a local furniture store that also sells hot tubs just to buy some granulated chlorine for my hot tub. I walked out with a new black leather ottoman, watermelon scented hot tub perfume, a chemical to clean out the inner workings of the thing and few other assorted chemicals me and my tub just could not live without.

This is what happens when I shop and am depressed. It's like some sort of placebo. Sometimes I actually get useful stuff (like yesterday). But sometimes it is pure frivolity; especially if I start meandering through the endless halls of ebay.

Of course, I can justify all those gondola-related items. After all, Venice is my home away from home and I needed each and every item related to Venice that is hanging on my walls or taking up shelf space. Like that ceramic liquor decanter with a large black gondola emblem pressed up against an abstract version of St. Marks cathedral. It is a strange flat design, no thicker than 2 inches. Next to that, I have a small fleet of metallic gondolas, either brass or silver. The largest is about 5 inches. The smallest is an inch long silver filigree brooch. In all, half a dozen in assorted sizes all essential.

Also from ebay, I have a paper-punch which cuts out a small gondola, gondolier and tiny wave (of water) in one hard press of the button. I have used the cutouts to embellish a picture of Venice that I matted myself. Really, not nearly as tacky as it sounds.

I really needed that oval brooch with the ivory wannabee center with the Rialto bridge in plastic cut out splendor. Actually I had to have two of these. BUT, the outside brass is decorated differently on each. If you have ever been depressed and tried to cure/appease it with shopping, I'm sure you understand completely. I am not trying to recruit the unaffected.

Although I gave up smoking 15 years ago, it did not dissuade me from purchasing that leather cigarette package holder with a badly painted version of the Rialto bridge and a gondola.

I have acquired some truly beautiful things. In fact they out number the questionable stuff.

Amongst the best are beautifully painted glass items. One of my faves is a teal green flattened out bowl nearly 15 inches across. It has hand painted white enamel decorations, that look much like lace and in four oval sections around the outside, still in all white, are scenes in detail of landmarks (Rialto, etc) in Venice. It is stunning. Got some nice artwork that I have not tired of living with yet. But obviously despite my enthusiasm for the subject (and many other subjects for that matter) depression still manages to permeate my existence. It is like an unwelcome guest, one that acts as if "I" am the visitor not it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home