poemetry

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Iron Gardener!! (think Iron Chef)...Battle: MINT!!

Iron Gardener!! Battle: MINT!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note to self:
Do not plant mint in your garden.
Do not plant mint in your garden.
Do not plant mint in your garden.

Years ago when I was younger and naiver, I did not see the harm in planting the very fragrant Mint in amongst my perennials.
Now, I am doing battle with the insidious creeper. All the while as I am pulling and cursing, it mocks me (mocks me!) still with its enticing scent.
End of last summer, I did major battle with it. I pulled up most all my perennials in the infested garden. And dug and plucked and pulled and cursed and thought I had at last out witted my delicious smelling enemy. Now it is spring and my Lady's Mantle and Pulmonaria are rife with circular green buds of intoxicatingly scented Mint. Its white, underground tentacles are webbing their way through this patch of garden still, interlocking their roots with the roots of friendlier plants. Hiding amongst them, as if it Knows it needs to hide.

It is hard to completely hate something that smells so good. Sprigs of it bruised and dropped into iced tea during the summer makes a very refreshing drink....But I digress!! It is too pushy. Too invasive and should never have been put there in the first place. I have only myself, my younger self, to blame. My well behaved, and nicely flowering plants must now suffer the injustice of mint creeping around their bottoms and feeling up their stems. Its perfume may be fooling the younger plants for all I know. The older ones, I know are relying on me to save them from being strangled by this minty breathed creature. Till then, where's my iced tea...?

1 Comments:

  • Oh my gawd!! she said, "personification." Sigh.

    Thanks for the indepth crit, T. I thought it was a fun piece, too. Some of my posts read like i tried too hard. This one has an easy flow; and you recognized that.

    Personification. sigh.
    auntie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home