poemetry

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Peter Sarsgaard and Other Good Things...

Peter Sarsgaard and Other Good Things…

I am taking the 'high road' for a change; the road less followed for me, when saying that I have the UTMOST respect and awe for Peter Sarsgaard's acting ability and his choice of roles. And I swear, the movie-guy-crush came MUCH later, after I had put him on a pedestal for his acting skills. I discovered ('things' tend to not exist till I "discover" them :o) this guy a couple of months ago after adding HBO to my cable system. One random day, at one random moment, the movie "Shattered Glass" came on. I remember hearing about it. A true story about a political magazine writer's downfall due to fabricating stories and presenting them as fact. I settled in to watch the movie and learn more about what happened…So I am watching this movie and it strikes me that the guy playing the editor is lighting up the screen each time he is on it with understated intensity. I am not one to notice 'good acting.' Usually I chalk up the accolades for single actors as really being attributed to the myriad of things that make a movie: script, lighting, director, story, yaddayadda. I'm not good at picking out good acting…BUT, not in this case. He was mesmerizing in his performance. And I still swear, I hadn't noticed he is a cutie till after watching the movie a random second time.

Then comes "Garden State" a few weeks later. I'd heard the title but knew nothing about the movie. I did however note that Peter Sarsgaard, that intriguing actor, was in this movie too. This guy is a chameleon. His characters and looks were infinitely different. Both stellar performances and Garden State is one helluva movie.

After learning this guy's name of course I am seeing it all around. Most recently: Kinsey. Skeleton Key. Flightplan (w/Jodie Foster). Jarhead. The Dying-Gaul…Anyways, nevermind this guy is c.u.t.e. (note to self: nevermind this guy is cute!) he is an amazing actor. I predict an Oscar within 2 years. I'd like to be the presenter if any Hollywood types are out there reading my blog. (hehe)

Other good things? I don't have skin cancer. My doctor told me this afternoon the random lump on my arm that's been there a couple of years and that started changing shape this month is some sort of scar tissue event. Maybe from a mosquito or noseeum bite. Just when I would have been perfectly ambivalent about having a life threatening illness, the potential for one comes up when I have a damned trip to Italy planned. But, all is okey doke afterall. I think I'll finish my glass of Merlot and stick 'Garden State' in my dvd player…and internalize the notion that I do value my life, at least a bit.

2 Comments:

  • Hi Laurie, I am glad that you are well!

    By Blogger sandra, at 10:27 AM  

  • Thanks Sandra. It was an event that really caused me to sit back and assess my Life. regards, Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home