poemetry

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Netflix U

I joined Netflix about a year ago when my nextdoorneighbor had a free month invite. Initially I slopped up movies but then quickly realized there was so much learning material to be had and have been enjoying brushing up on stuff that not attending high school probably left off my plate.
Things like:

Napoleon. I watched a wonderful two disc PBS production that told me everything I didn't know about Napoleon and so much of European history at that time.

The Impressionists, a BBC mini-series about the French impressionists. I was hoping that somewhere in there they'd mention Signac, an artist I fell in awe with several years ago when there was a large showing of his work at NYC's Met Museum. It was eye opening to see how revolutionary these artists had to be to uncurl the steely grasp of the olde guarde.

Mary Cassatt. Although I admire her art, it is not my cup of tea. But she too was revolutionary in her lifestyle as an artist and against the old school in her treatment of her subjects.

The Life and Times of Frida Kahlo. A documentary. What a life this woman lead. With so much pain but so much vitality and talent. She dressed as a male at one point during her adolescence; truly a woman with no regard for the status quo. We really need to hear more about folks who dare to go against the tide of conformity, under any guise.

Bukowski: Born into This. What a character. Another rebel. I'm detecting a theme at this point. You don't always like him, but are always interested.

Frank Lloyd Wright--a Ken Burns film. If Falling Water doesn't bring tears to your eyes, then I feel sorry for you! His was a long and eventful life. A big character and big talent.

and last night I finished watching:
Howard Zinn: You Can't Be Neutral. Damn. This guy is a national treasure. He easily flips what you take for granted into a focus of clarity, of reality that has been shaded by propoganda by politicians and our government. I don't even think "they" realize what a crock our actions and policies are when it comes to our status as a world power and how WE decide who to impose or engage in w.a.r. The sixties, it seems fixed very little afterall--at least when it comes to war.

Well, it's not a complete list of stuff, but a sampling...and maybe you'll be inspired to opt for something cerebral along with the movie you've been waiting to see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home