poemetry

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Raven and Moon by Terry Isaac

click picture to enlarge **

Here is the canvas I picked up yesterday (see Hamburg post). The raven is a bit bigger than life-sized. The canvas is about 12x17, an unusual, longish size that seems perfect. When I said it was simple, I meant it. The painting of the raven is so precise, I think you can see why I couldn't initially tell if it was a photo or from a painting. It is printed onto canvas that is then stapled to a frame, so it does have the appearance of an original painting. It is limited to 99 pieces along with 9 artist proofs, which didn't show up on a quick online search. I imagine they (the A/P's) are terribly expensive since this puppy wasn't exactly cheap.

The one thing about this raven that isn't accurate (far as I can tell) is that they actually have a small 'barb' at the end of their beak; just a small faintly hooked thing. Because I am up close and personal with my pair of ravens I know about this...but I can see why it was not painted. I think it would compete with the diminutive crescent moon with its similar curve. It was a disposable attribute.
** I'm seeing that the raven seems a bit 'foggy' on screen. The black of the picture itself is a saturated black and quite clear, just as if it as a photo. With texture of the canvas, I don't know how to capture the true colours. It still looks awesome (I think!) In life, there is a a 3D quality to the raven, almost like it is coming off the canvas...it's hard to explain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home