poemetry

Saturday, August 01, 2009

pottery. blahblahblah. pottery

I'm too tired to do dishes...so my only other choice in life is to post pics I took the other day of some of my other pottery outputs. Okay. I could read a book. Crochet a doily. Watch tv. Vacuum (but, why start now!!??). Learn a new language...But the pics are already on my computer and so am I, soooo, this is it.

This guy started out as an exercise in doing 'relief'. I liked the bubbles a lot so I ended up doing a couple of pieces and joining them together. I think it looks sort of organic. Kinda like a frog. Or a fish. Or a seashell even.
I'm learning that the lease bit of non-perfection in glazing really stands out in the end.


The base of the raven was supposed to look like stone. I think I came pretty close. Made this for a friend's birthday, who happens to be of the Raven-clan. Coincidence? I think not. I had to hollow out (somewhat) the head when the clay was still damp, because solid masses of clay won't fire well in the kiln. And enclosed airspaces won't work in the kiln either (I think they tend to explode from pressure), so he had to be glued onto the base in the end.
The ''highlights" in the pic don't exist in real life. He is a high-gloss black that wanted to reflect Everything once I turned on my camera.


This is the very first item I made back at the start of June when I began. The glaze is a random dabble of three different colours. I didn't glaze the eggs, which are about the size of two olive pits (for size perspective). Glued in a few feathers (raven and blue jay) after all was done being fired.

A gondola hook on a moderne art background. Satifies my Venice-fetish.


I had a hard time trying to capture the way the thin wires near the face, curve towards the front. He's actually Waaay cuter in person.

His 'Yeah, I'm cute, but don't touch me' pose.


Pine-less porcy.


More pine-less porc. Before glazing him, I had to fill every one of the pre-poked holes with toothpicks to keep the glaze from filling them in. He looks pretty rustic, but it was a time consuming project. Each of the wires were basically custom cut by trial-and-error, placed in the body then taken back out, one-at-a-time to be dipped in glue and replaced. AND some of the holes I poked all the way through the body when it was soft clay, so some wires would fall through. So, I ended up buying some mole-skin and gluing it on the inside to support the 'pines.' I guess he is actually a Molkypine.



3 Comments:

  • Laurie ~

    I really like all the innovative and clever directions you take your pottery. Obviously a challenge as you try new and different things. A frog is what I thought on your first one showing. Your description of "organic" is right on for all of them. They make me want to take a pottery class.


    ~ Lizzy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:05 AM  

  • Hi Laurie,

    Looks very nice to me, I love the Raven.

    Gerrit

    By Blogger Gerrit Bosman, at 5:13 AM  

  • Hi Gerrit!

    Thanks :)

    By Blogger Laurie, at 7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home